Saturday 5 November 2011

Lack-based wall mounted speakers

Materials: Lack wall shelf - small

Description: I was looking for some new speakers for my PC, but didn't want to spend a huge amount of money. I already had some old car speakers in the garage and decided to try a cheap Ikea based hack before shelling out on new audio equipment...

Because I already had most of the materials required this hack cost me �15 in total.

You will need:

1) Two small Ikea Lack wall shelves

2) 1 pair car audio speakers

3) an amplifier, speaker cable, speaker terminal connectors, screws, flush wall mount brackets, screwdriver, drill etc

Steps to create:

1) Unwrap your Lack shelf :-)

2) Use the template which comes with the speakers to trace the speaker mount area in the centre of the shelf

3) Cut out the marked area - I used a drill to create a series of closely spaced holes, then used a serrated edge knife to finish the job

4) Remove the "lid" and the card board inside the exposed portion of the shelf cavity. I didn't empty the shelf cavity of all the cardboard - I guess in theory that the more cardboard removed, the greater the bass effect

5) Make an access whole through the centre of the non laminated edge of the shelf (this is the bit of the shelf which would normally be flush to the wall) - I used a large drill bit for this

6) Feed speaker cable through the access hole

7) Wire the speaker cable to the speaker using the speaker terminal connectors

8) Fix the speaker into the shelf using screws

9) Mount the shelf vertically on the wall using flush mounting brackets

10) Repeat steps 1-9 for the second speaker

11) Connect your speakers to your amp and listen to your favourite tunes!

~ Luke, UK

No comments:

Post a Comment