Tuesday 29 November 2011

Budget Work Station


Materials: EKBY VIKTOR, EKBY M�NS, SPONTAN, STIG, RUSCH

Description: First off, sorry for the quality of the photo! The work station isn't actually crooked in real life, but apparently my iphone camera was going for an abstract look.

I wanted to make a workspace that didn't take up a lot of floor room as my bedroom is fairly small, and I was actually inspired by this makeup vanity for small spaces (http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/03/makeup-vanity-for-small-spaces.html); originally I thought I'd do something similar with a shelf and table legs, but i ended up just deciding to mount a shelf lower on my wall to serve as a work station that would fit my laptop.

I grabbed the EKBY M�NS shelf brackets in black along with an EKBY VIKTOR shelf in black to serve as the desk portion of my workspace, and then I purchased the SPONTAN magnet board in white to use as a memo and idea display. I got a work lamp to go on the shelf but I can't remember exactly which model I bought. It was on sale for $5.99 at the time, but I can't seem to find it on the website. I wanted a chair that sat a bit higher up so I bought a STIG bar stool, and then I bought three RUSCH wall clocks to represent three different time zones above the whole setup. Overall I think everything cost between $50 and $60, and it was really simple to put together in under two hours. I used a stud finder to attach the shelf to the wall and therefore didn't need a power drill, which was an added bonus. Very pleased with how everything turned out!

~ Megan, Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment