Tuesday 29 November 2011

The Stacker Bedside Table Hack


Materials: 1 Corras Bedside Table

Description:
2005.... The year I purchased this Ikea Corras bedside table. After purchasing new side tables a few years ago... this was moved into a closet. Last weekend, I decided it was time to throw it out....


My husband wheeled it outside and left it on the back porch till trash day.

Two days later...I was sitting on the porch looking at the table when it happened. I had a vision! To repurpose my Ikea Corras bedside table into a wall shelf unit. I never thought I'd have "the gift" to hack Ikea!

I located my very handy husband James and asked, "Will you slice this in half for me?


With my vision and his skills.. we started by removing the casters, then James measured and pencil marked the center lines equally all the way around the table. He used a circular saw to slice it in half. He then measured, marked and sliced the adjustable shelf.

He screwed the top half (from the inside using 1 3/4 inch screws) to the bottom half joining the two halves together. He screw small strips of strapping metal on the backs of each corner on both halves to reinforce them. He put four 3 inch L brackets on the wall and screwed the unit in place.

Corras bedside table (Original) measurements: 15d x 20w x 20h

Corras Stacker (Hack) measurements:
7 1/2d x 20w x 40h

I'm very proud of my (our) first Ikea hack ;)

~ Merritt & James

1 comment: