Friday 12 April 2013

Fabian electronic piano stand


Materials: 2 Fabian wall shelves; 1"x4"x6' and 1"x3"x6' pine strips; woodscrews

Description: I wanted a nice stand for my Yamaha 88-key electronic piano. Commercial ones are expensive at around $150. So I built one for about $26, using two inexpensive $6.99 Fabian wall shelves from IKEA as the basis for the design.

The pictures show the construction. The two Fabian shelves become the vertical sides of the piano stand. The two pine strips (I used Claymark Select Pine strips from Home Depot to minimize additional work) were cut to the proper length for my keyboard (49.75 inches).



The pine strips space the Fabian shelves apart at the proper distance so that the keyboard can sit on the top ends of the Fabian shelves.

The Fabian shelves each come with two nicely silver-finished right-angle metal brackets. These are intended to hang the shelf from the wall. But as you can see in the photos, I used these brackets to square up and stiffen the piano stand instead. They do the job perfectly, and make a nice light, strong structure.

~ Gnobuddy

No comments:

Post a Comment