Tuesday 14 July 2009

A leg up for this coffee table

It's TV stands today. Two more posts after lunch.

Craigslist is a great place to hunt if you're looking for bits and pieces of Ikea to hack. Tim found this neat coffee table (its name, anyone?) to prop up as a TV stand.

He says, "I needed a TV stand that was tall enough to see over the corner of my couch. I was using an old retro dining table with a formica top. It was tall enough but with the TV and DVD player being all on one level the cabling got messy. I looked all over for TV stands but most were really tacky looking and expensive. I wanted something a little more modern and original. Then I got the idea to put a coffee table on top of the base of the restaurant table. This would give me the slot space I needed to for the DVD player and bring the TV up high enough to see.

I searched Craigslist and found this Ikea coffee table which was perfect. It was plenty wide enough to fit my TV, nice and modern looking, and it had a nice open center. It was a really easy thing to do. I just found the center, marked it, and mounted the diner table base to the Ikea coffee table with some wood screws. The cables are still a little sloppy but haven't really gotten around to working on that. Other than that I think it looks awesome. I got the old restaurant table for 30 bucks and the coffee table for 40."

No comments:

Post a Comment