Tuesday 15 July 2008

Hack the hex

This is brilliant. Nate found a way to 'powerize' the hex key. No more numb fingers and blisters.

He says, "When revamping my workspace a few weeks ago - and not in the mood to unscrew my Jerker desk by hand - I thought I might try sacrificing one of the countless hand wrenches I've picked up from Ikea. In a perfect world I would have had a drill bit exactly sized for the hex screws used in the desk's fixtures but, alas, such things escape my grasp.

hex key drill bithex key drill bithex key drill bitallen key drill bitSo I took the freebie hex wrench, cut it at the straightest edge I could manage with the bolt cutters and slid the new 'bit' into the chuck of the power drill. It held in there just fine and I had my desk in pieces in minutes. I imagine that this technique isn't limited to just this driver but to any and all Ikea wrenches and hand drivers, from the S shapes to the L's."

No comments:

Post a Comment